here is a tribe in Africa where the birth date of a child is counted not from when they were born, nor from when they are conceived but from the day that the child was a thought in its mother’s mind. And when a woman decides that she will have a child, she goes off and sits under a tree, by herself, and she listens until she can hear the song of the child that wants to come. And after she’s heard the song of this child, she comes back to the man who will be the child’s father, and teaches it to him. And then, when they make love to physically conceive the child, some of that time they sing the song of the child, as a way to invite it.
And then, when the mother is pregnant, the mother teaches that child’s song to the midwives and the old women of the village, so that when the child is born, the old women and the people around her sing the child’s song to welcome it. And then, as the child grows up, the other villagers are taught the child’s song. If the child falls, or hurts its knee, someone picks it up and sings its song to it. Or perhaps the child does something wonderful, or goes through the rites of puberty, then as a way of honoring this person, the people of the village sing his or her song.
In the African tribe there is one other occasion upon which the villagers sing to the child. If at any time during his or her life, the person commits a crime or aberrant social act, the individual is called to the center of the village and the people in the community form a circle around them. Then they sing their song to them.
The tribe recognizes that the correction for antisocial behavior is not punishment; it is love and the remembrance of identity. When you recognize your own song, you have no desire or need to do anything that would hurt another.
And it goes this way through their life. In marriage, the songs are sung, together. And finally, when this child is lying in bed, ready to die, all the villagers know his or her song, and they sing—for the last time—the song to that person.
You may not have grown up in an African tribe that sings your song to you at crucial life transitions, but life is always reminding you when you are in tune with yourself and when you are not. When you feel good, what you are doing matches your song, and when you feel awful, it doesn’t. In the end, we shall all recognize our song and sing it well. You may feel a little warbly at the moment, but so have all the great singers. Just keep singing and you’ll find your way home.
This is so sweet.
- castiel-sex-feathers reblogged this from bausprouse
- castiel-sex-feathers likes this
- twotwenty reblogged this from chadsquid
- never-slow-downn reblogged this from bethanyneedsmoney
- autumn-quay likes this
- lmkolives likes this
- mollynoodlez reblogged this from fluorescent-galaxies
- fluorescent-galaxies reblogged this from illhakuna-yo-tatas
- cal-mness likes this
- lftdrsrchgrp760 reblogged this from kryntree
- seekingdivinetruth reblogged this from greenprofundities
- 00pand0ria reblogged this from kryntree
- 00pand0ria likes this
- itsdarkbetweenthestars likes this
- potatozdelight reblogged this from potatozdelight
- couples-ph0t0s reblogged this from waitingtokissyou
- assufck reblogged this from if-its-not-too-late-for-coffee
- if-its-not-too-late-for-coffee reblogged this from bausprouse
- if-its-not-too-late-for-coffee likes this
- parielley likes this
- thelastkingstanding reblogged this from 4oq
- b-e-l-l-e-v-i-e reblogged this from oncontrold
- yungmisfortune likes this
- daisyxx99 reblogged this from eeelz
- awkwardavocado likes this
- dnives reblogged this from intergalactic-fairy
- labraewilliams reblogged this from thegodmolecule
- smolderchexon likes this
- redbrickroadisthehighwaytohell reblogged this from firebendingwizard
- firebendingwizard reblogged this from strawberryfielcls
- hachi1213 reblogged this from forrestimel
- hachi1213 likes this
- cosmicosmosis likes this
- 2ne1shineebigbang reblogged this from 4oq
- 2ne1shineebigbang likes this
- ajournalforaheart reblogged this from bausprouse
- hydeandfreak likes this
- katerobards likes this
- thedinglehair reblogged this from goatlovr
- moonlessblac-knight likes this
- averagenigerianboy reblogged this from forrestimel
- averagenigerianboy likes this
- eatingtheatkins likes this
- doctorc0ckter reblogged this from carladoll6
- loki0078 reblogged this from hippiesidliketofuck
- loki0078 likes this
- seressoth reblogged this from damgiftshop
- tararachedanstele likes this
- benevolentbitches reblogged this from clouddjinn
- benevolentbitches likes this